One of the most important items of business for storm readiness in PKS is communications. The best storm plan in the world is useless if we do not have a reliable mechanism to get the word out. This message presents 5 items related to communications that are important when it comes to Emergency Management in Pine Knoll Shores.
1. Use the Town email system--The best way to immediately get the word on PKS-specific information related to storms/emergency management is via this email system. So if you are reading this and you regularly get Town emails, you will receive information on:
2. Visit the Town Facebook Page- every message passed in the areas mentioned in 1. above is also posted on the Town’s Facebook Page: Facebook.com/townofpineknollshores In the event that Town Hall loses its internet connection and cannot send emails (as we did during our last recent major storm), we will use a wifi hotspot and post our messages directly to Facebook. Reminder—you do not need a Facebook account to view these messages…just enter the link shown earlier in your browser.
3. Sign up for Code Red- We have decided to abandon our siren system in town. A much better way for everyone to be immediately notified of an important event or an emergency is to sign up for CodeRed, which will call a home phone or cell phone (or both). You have to go the County website to enroll in CodeRed: http://carteretcountync.gov/525/Emergency-Notification
4. Have an AM Radio so you can listen in on 1610, the PKS Town Radio Station- The Town has a 5-watt radio station which will broadcast emergency messages. The same messages which go out on email and are posted on Facebook are also broadcast on 1610 AM, so in the event your home has no phone/power/internet capability, you can still get the word.
5. Call Town Hall to get the latest word prior to driving to PKS after a storm event- The same messages which are sent out on email, posted on Facebook, and broadcast on 1610 AM are also read on our message machine at Town Hall when we actually encounter a hurricane event. It’s a good idea to call and check out the status in Town before driving here from several hours inland only to be turned around. Call 252-247-4353.
REMINDER: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR REENTRY PASS, PLEASE CONTACT NATALIE GIBBLE @252-247-2268 TO OBTAIN ONE. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE, IT IS STILL GOOD AND YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW ONE.